Saturday, December 27, 2008

It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time! (Ok, not really)

This is my first post. As a bit of introduction, I'm Billkwando. I recently started making DTX simfiles for DTXMania about 2 weeks ago (I think maybe 12/10/08), and wanted to post up some of my creations. This post is long, but hopefully it contains a lot of useful information.

A big "Thanks!" goes out to Warpig from the vdrums.com forums, as he taught me how to make DTXs through hieroglyphics and song (ok, actually with pictures and instructions).

As I'm still learning, suggestions and shortcuts are welcome. There are things I'm still getting the hang of, so my first few DTXs may not be perfect. I'm aware of this, so chances are minor mistakes or mistimings were simply beyond my control to fix. Hopefully there won't be many.

Anyways, enjoy, and let me know what you think.

Oh, and this is a shameless ripoff of Maoke Jackson's blog (and Haiyabusa). :p I figured my time was better spent making DTXs than trying to figure out a way to make a blog on a different site that looks different from his. At least we know blogspot already works. Expect Youtube videos soon. I'm mad original, yo.

Check him out, he makes a lot of nice DTXs. His blog is in Chinese, so you may want to use the translated version. He was also a huge help to me when I posted on the Bemanistyle forum, when I couldn't get my video to work. His video-making tutorial, translated from Chinese, was incredibly useful and got my videos up and running (cos virtualdub hates me).

Also, check out Haiyabusa. His stuff is awesome. His blog is in Chinese, so you may also want to use the translated version. I'm not gonna lie to you. This site is hard as hell to navigate, partly because it's so loaded down with graphics and autoplaying music that it take 5 or 10 seconds to load, giving the impression that there's no text on the page. There are 1 or 2 DTXs per blog page, and then you have to hit the next button. I've provided (what I believe to be) the full list of DTX links here, so you don't have to page through.

2 of my favorite DTXs are Haiyabusa's. L'arc~en~Ciel - Drink It Down (from the Devil May Cry 4 sountrack) and Real Voice by Ayaka. The 2nd, I stumbled upon, intrigued by the title. I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean, but it's surprisingly apt, considering that Ayaka doesn't sound like the typical J-pop we hear in the USA. Meaning, yes it's J-pop/rock, but she doesn't sound like an anime character or a little girl (see Whiteberry if you don't know what I mean). It's a catchy song, with good drums, and she is.....let's just say she has an encouraging demeanor.

My other favorite DTX is Zone - H・A・N・A・B・I ~君がいた夏~ by Meow. It's on GDAmania.net's (still functioning) files page. If it appears to be down, try it again in a couple minutes. It'll work. I also got GDA Creator Professional and smf2dtx there, both of which I use regularly.

I hope to make a tutorial (preferably a video tutorial) on how to get started making DTXs. I'm just trying to get a decent idea of what I'm doing first so that I can provide simple and concise instructions, plus any shortcuts or tips I can come up with to make the process easier.

Lastly, if you're interested in using Rock Band instruments for DTXMania, and/or want to reskin your lanes to match the Rock Band colors, please see my "Using Rock Band Instruments on DTXMania" page.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, do you make logo? I gonna put in my blog.
    Keep going making dtx! :)

    Btw, haiyabusa's blog is in Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a logo yet but you can make one for me! Hahahaha, just kidding.

    Haiyabusa's blog is Chinese? Man that's embarassing. I'll have to fix that later.

    The name tricked me. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck Billkwando.. You're a nice and great man. XP Very,very hardworking.
    As for me, I don't know if I'll be able to create DTXs in my summer vacation - I'm a lazy guy.

    Sorry for bothering you last year/last month...lol

    from the guy who used the username locked_twilight

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can be a pain in the butt. I won't lie. ;)

    ReplyDelete